Some serious, some just the
everyday grind of dealing with a collapsing software system
that is clearly designed by children, without the supervision
of a software complexity overlord or editor.
Buyer Requests to Cancel an Order and Ebay Systems Make It
Today a customer requested to
cancel an order, as he had ordered some items by
mistake. No problem. Well, a small problem.
As of about three years ago, if the nice customer has already
paid for the items, I, as the seller get the variable part of
the ebay fee back but not the 40pee one-off charge for the
transaction. However, the Consumer is King (ebay
international money-raking systems are in fact, King) and I
have no choice but to work with this system and to accept
cancellations when requested.
Or, I'd like to!
On this occasion, ebay systems
were, and still are, in such a state that I get the
cancellation request, try to cancel, repeatedly get an error
page, see that another order from the same customer is still
in "awaiting dispatch," (which I assume is the order that he
actually wants) I call-up ebay seller support to try to cancel
the other order which has disappeared into 'cancellations,'
meanwhile the required order disappears while I'm actually on
the telephone, and the call operative sees this as well.
This is online so-called 'marketplace' chaos, showing the deep
underlying issues in ebay's collapsing software systems.
Here is the telephone call to
ebay seller support. This telephone operative seemed
quite helpful, and I believe that she tried her best over the
30 minutes of the call. All the same, there was no
resolution to the problem. You can click on the link to
hear the call in full, edited for the privacy of the customer.
03-MAR-2021: A Call to
Ebay Seller Support Fails to Address Why I Can't Fulfill a
Customer's Request to Cancel an Order
1) We establish the facts
quickly, for a change.
2) The call operative wonders what the customer is doing, but that's not the issue. The customer may do whatever he likes. Cancelling an order is a completely valid option. The question is, why is ebay failing to operate correctly?
3) Why did one order get into and remain in 'paid and dispatched' if it had not been paid for? "It's a mystery, It's a mystery," ebay.
4) No resolution. "Wait and see," meanwhile I've no evidence that the customer has not been defrauded out of his money.
5) I complain without actually using the word complaint, or Murray Lambell, General Manager of ebay UK who is responsible for all ebay UK activities, including failure of his systems to cancel orders, resulting in extreme customer inconvenience which may verge on fraud as we progress the issue.
We'll see what happens on this
one. Nothing has moved for three hours since
14:00. Enough time for any payments to grind through,
even on ebay managed payments.
Associated Site Messages:
Henry: "Hello Nice
I've tried to cancel this order, or *an* order, or part of one, and have just spent 30 minutes on the ebay telephone line trying to cancel it without success. They have no idea what their systems are doing either. Please bear with me while I try to sort it out.
Nice Customer: "Yeah
sorry about this. I hope ebay starts behaving itself again."
05-MAR-2021 Many Sellers
Suffering From The Same Failure - But I Don't Find out On
The First Call
After waiting for 24 hours for
ebay to fix one of the most basic possible functions of a
so-called online marketplace, I am still unable to cancel the
order and hence to issue the subsequent refund. So it's
onto the telephone line once more, where I decide that I have
given sufficient information already not to be taken through
an online tutorial on how to cancel orders, and Laura takes
umbridge, despite my being fully polite throughout. You
can listen to the full call by clicking on the link here:
Laura from eBay Seller Support Cuts Me Off for Not Accepting
Her Patronising Lecture On Cancelling Orders
1) I hear that some other sellers may have been experiencing the same problem.
2) Laura tries to take me through an online tutorial of how to cancel orders when the ebay website does *not* have it's knickers around its ankles.
3) I refuse, as it is a waste of even more time, having already made it clear that I spent 30 minutes on this yesterday.
4) Laura cuts me off.
I then go straight back into
ebay and request another call-back, which I duly
receive. My apologies, this call did not record, due to
me forgetting to press play and record on the tape machine
while hitting record on the audio and video record on the
computer. You will have to trust my summary on this
receive a second call back from ebay about the site being
unable to cancel orders.
1) We establish the
basic facts quickly.
2) I am told that this is a problem common to many users today, and that it is being worked on.
3) I am told that it should be fixed by the evening of 4th March 2021.
4) I complain about the site issue and the complaint is registered, whatever that means.
5) I complain about being unnecessarily being led down the garden path and being cut-off by the previous call operative. The complaint is registered.
6) A clearly rather world-weary ebay call operative and I say goodbye in an agreeable, if not slightly tired fashion. A five minute call.
It's not that hard, is it? If only your telephone operatives would tell the truth and not waste my time, ebay / Murray Lambell, things would be less fraught, if equally incompetent at a corporate software management level. The site was not fixed that evening. The next day, more than 24 hours after my report, I was finally able to cancel my nice customers' order and he got his money back.
It is deeply unsatisfactory.
You can see the YouTube video
of the nice telephone call with Laura here:
Laura From eBay Seller Support Cuts Me Off for Not Accepting
Her Patronizing Lecture On Cancelling Orders
30-AUG-2021 An ebay Malfunction makes it Impossible to Mark an Item as Dispatched Episode 1
On 30th August 2021 I was merrily conducting my "Ebay for Business," when I noticed that an item that I had just "Marked as Dispatched" had not disappeared from my, "Items Awaiting Dispatch" list. Oh dear. Let's try again. No-go. Let's try selecting it on the tick box on the left and hitting "Mark as Dispatched." No. Let's try it the following day. No. This is a nuisance because it upsets my label printing downloads and general workflow, and soon enough, it will be marked as a late dispatch. More importantly, the item won't be shown as dispatched to the customer, and the delivery time estimate will be wrong for them. This is not what I call, "Ebay for Business." I call it, "Ebay is Useless." So, it's on to the ebay so-called seller support line again to see what they have to say about the error. You can click on the link below to hear the telephone call.
Ebay Admit to the Item Not Being Marked as
1) Ebay admit to the
2) I am told that any items marked as late will not cause any 'ebay bad marks' issues. I call this a lie. If you can't even mark something as dispatched, don't tell me that you can control anything else in your systems.
3) I ask to complain. I am directed to the Dublin Dustbin complaints by letter post address.
4) I ask for a time estimate for a fix. There is none.
5) I ask that Murray Lambell, General Manager of ebay UK, who is responsible for all UK activities, is informed that a very basic element of his online marketplace is broken, and that no-one knows when it will be fixed.
6) We end the call with me making it clear that there has been no satisfactory resolution.
You can see the video
of the call on YouTube here: Ebay
Marked as Dispatched Field Failure Seller
Support Call 30-AUG-2021
01-SEP-2021 An ebay Malfunction makes it Impossible to Mark an Item as Dispatched Episode 2
I'm still unable to
mark the item as dispatched, and
it now shows as overdue.
Time for some more ebay seller
so-called "support," I
think. You can click on the
link below to hear the telephone
Ebay Seller Support Have No Fix
for the Item Unable to be Marked
as Dispatched Error, and I get
1) We go through a
variety of attempts to solve the
problem and establish again that
it is an ebay problem.
2) I wish to complain, as politely as possible, and am disconnected.
Here's the link to the Youtube video of this call: Ebay for Business Malfunction: Can't Mark Items as Dispatched 01-SEP-2021 Ep2
02-SEP-2021 An ebay Malfunction makes it Impossible to Mark an Item as Dispatched Episode 3
On Thursday 2nd
September I attempt to have
another call, and issue a callback
request at 18:49. I am
watching the telephone. I
see the call ringer LED blip once
and the call is dropped before the
telephone even has chance to make
a sound. I then receive a
site notification that a callback
was attempted but it was unable to
get through. That's an ebay
lie. At 19:10 I try
again. Once more I see the
ring LED blip with what I can only
assume was a deliberately
abandoned callback. Once
again I try the same thing and get
another LED blip at 19:42.
So now it's onto the ebay text
chat system to check the
progress. Here is the
Ebay Seller Support Text Chat
Transcript Concerning Inability
to Mark Items As Dispatched
Text Chat Summary:
1) We establish that
this is still an ebay failure.
2) I am given a fix time estimate of 48-72 hours.
3) I complain about the failure.
4) I complain about the abandoned callbacks.
5) I make it clear that Murray Lambell, VP of ebay UK should be informed.
14-SEP-2021 An ebay Malfunction Makes it Impossible to Mark an Item as Dispatched Episode 4
I wait, and after the
appointed 72 hours fix time I note
that the now well overdue item is
still present, and still can not
be marked as dispatched. I
have a bit of a holiday. On
Tuesday 14th September I return
and request a callback from ebay
seller "support." You can
listen to the call at the link
Ebay seller Support Contact
Number 4 Concerning Inability to
Mark an Order as Sent
1) We establish that
this is an ongoing ebay site
2) The representative is unwilling to disclose which particular accounts are affected.
3) I am assured that this will be fixed by 15th September.
4) I complain and request that Murray Lambell, VP of ebay UK is informed prior to the ebay event in Manchester on 30th September, where I will be raising the issue.
Here's the link to the Youtube video of this call: Ebay for Business Failure: Can't Mark Orders as Sent 14-SEP-2021 Ep4
assured that this error would be
fixed on the 15th September, so now
on the 16th, obviously, it's all
cleared up. Right? Oh
dear, no it's not! You can
hear the call at the link below.
16-SEP-2021 An ebay Malfunction Makes it Impossible to Mark an Item as Dispatched Episode 5
1) Ebay have started prefacing
their calls with a little patronizing speech about what a
loyal ebay customer I am. Yes, 11 years of this truly
awful service! A reminder of this now becomes my
2) The same as usual.
Here's the link to the Youtube video of this call: Ebay for Business Failure: Can't Mark Orders as Sent 16-SEP-2021 Ep5
Mark an Item
No change today. You can hear the call at the link below. Warning, this is a bit of a marathon as I appear to have been given the Friday Afternoon special crew on this call.
17-SEP-2021 Ebay seller Support Contact Number 6 Concerning Inability to Mark an Order as Sent
1) After an astonishing amount
of going over old ground, we get to the point.
2) I suggest to the call operative that maybe this problem is only occurring on accounts which also have illegal and invisible turnover limits applied to them by ebay systems, like mine.
3) The same as usual. I once more complain, request that Murray Lambell is informed, and have to spell out his name.
Here's the link to the Youtube video of this call: Ebay for Business Failure: Can't Mark Orders as Sent 17-SEP-2021 Ep6
Mark an Item
No change, although I'm becoming increasingly curious as to why this problem is so difficult to solve. It's almost as if mending this might remove other "problems," like the ongoing £85,000 per year sales limit that's been on my ebay account since 7th April 2017. I mention this in the call. You can hear the call at the link below.
17-SEP-2021 Ebay seller Support Contact Number 7 Concerning Inability to Mark an Order as Sent
Here's the link to
the Youtube video of this
call: Ebay for Business
Failure: Can't Mark Orders as
Sent 20-SEP-2021 Ep7
It's also on Linked-in, where I have sent Mr. Lambell an online site message thus:
Message to Murray Lambell, VP and General Manager of eBay UK
who is Responsible for All Ebay UK Activities.
Mr. Lambell hasn't read my
message as of 20-SEP-2021, and neither has he responded to my
contact request. Oh Dear.
There's a nice
self-congratulatory ebay stage show, networking,
one-on-one consultations with the ebay customer
service team, and general management wank-a-thon
occurring in Manchester on 30th September
2021. It's at the Victoria Warehouse venue
at Old Trafford starting with registration at
08:15. Someone appears to have made the
mistake of sending me an invitation, so I'll definitely
be going. That should be fun! In fact, I can
hardly wait, Murray Lambell.
General email address checked daily including
the spam folders: email@example.com